Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mean Mommy

Monday, my little Asher was not himself. More than a tad grumpy and very whiny. I couldn't wait for bedtime that day. I went to bed at about 12:30 and was asleep 10 minutes when I heard the weirdest cry. I ran downstairs and as soon as I opened his door, the smell told me exactly what I was stepping into. I tried to maneuver my way in the dark, which was in hindsight a big fat mistake. I saw the outline of his body and reached down for him, but instead put my hand into what reminded me of the show Double Dare. Literally, it was as if everything that kid has ever eaten (and apparently not chewed) was in that crib. He was completely covered, and I was completely grossed out. I ran him into the bathroom and trying to control my own gag reflex, I stripped him down and got him bathed. He woke my Dad up with the loudest screaming I have ever heard come from his little mouth. Now, my Dad is much like most men. Tell them step by step and he will do whatever you need. Dad is not so good in the stomach virus area. I can't even remember a time when I was a child that he didn't run to the other room, so he himself didn't get sick. However, something happens when it is your grandchild because he turned into Superman. After I got Asher bathed, he held a clean baby, while I cleaned up the room. Within 4 minutes, he got puked on twice, and he didn't even flinch! That is love, people!

Now it is about 1 am, and Asher continued to throw up every 10 minutes for 12 hours. He slept 1 hour that day and he was so weak he couldn't even pick his head up anymore. It was so heartbreaking and I felt awful for assuming his bad day was age based instead of the possibility of sickness. I was so exhausted from getting just 1 hour and 10 minutes of sleep and the constant cleaning and soothing of the day. I couldn't even take Izzy to school because of the frequency and knew if I couldn't even go to the bathroom, there is no way Asher could make a car ride. Luckily for me, Daddy had a different kind of day at school and was home by 2. At that point I would have paid money to use my own shower and take a short nap. Hubby saved the day again, and let me do both while he cuddled and cared for the boys. By dinner, Asher was all perked up and running around. Still not eating, but drinking pedialyte and holding it down.

I went to bed before 11, just in case of a relapse. As I write this, it is 8:30 and Asher is still fast asleep. Unfortunately, when Izzy came up to my room at 7 to get ready for school he said his tummy hurt. I figured that he might just not want to go to school, but shortly after that thought, my little guy was over the toilet and crying. Round two. At least this time Mommy is rested and Izzy is old enough to know what is coming.

Mommy needs to work on reading her kids a little better. For now, I need to cuddle and clean up for the next 12 hours or so. I am sure tomorrows post will be something about antibacterial gel and my love for Clorox wipes.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Babies! Give them both hugs for me. And don't be too hard on yourself. You're a great Mommy. No one can be Super Mom and know the sign of every on-coming illness. I love you guys and am praying for the boys, a speedy recovery, and protection over the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bug is timely if nothing else. You could set your watch to it. Every 9 minutes I check on Izzy and within a minute he is puking. Thank you for your prayers, we need it!

    ReplyDelete