Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Best Papa in the World!



My kids have the best Papa in the world and they don't even know it, yet.

My Dad spoils my kids with love and attention. Randomly, he will bring special treats or take them shopping or to the greatest place on earth CHUCK E. CHEESE!!!!

Last night, he came home and surprised Izzy by telling him he was going to take him to the Circus next week!!! You can imagine his 4 year old response. Izzy talked incessantly about it and I am pretty sure he dreamed of lions, tigers and bears.


Here is the thing. The circus was LAST weekend. GASP! While Izzy was dreaming of the Big Top, Dad and I were scrambling to come up with a new even more exciting idea. We learned one thing. Once you tell a 4 year old they are going to the circus, not much compares.


I told my Dad to just tell him the truth and promise that the next time it is in town we will be sure to go and he will get over it. Being Dad, he emailed me later and let me know that he found dates in October in St. Louis and he wants to take us all for an overnight trip to see the circus and spend the next day in STL. I know. He is fantastic, right? I know Izzy won't understand what a big deal that is, but I will do my best to explain that most Grandparents wouldn't do such a thing.


Most Grandparents, don't play baseball until it is too dark to see. Go on bike rides after they have worked all day and have other things to do. Take him to a movie and let him get whatever he wants even if it probably cost $50 for the popcorn and slurpee alone. Call and check on the kids every single day, even though we live together, and he will see them in just a few hours. Play hide-n-seek, army, Doctor, games, cars, I could go on and on.


My Dad was a great Dad. He knew me well and wanted to make me happy. He thinks about the ones he loves and lets you know it by a simple gesture. Every Friday (even when I was engaged) he would bring me a roll of sweet tarts or a Butterfinger because he knew it was my favorite. It is sweet to see that he is keeping the tradition alive with my kids. He adores my boys, and they return it. He was a fantastic, loving father, but he has kicked it up a notch as a Papa.

The Best Papa in the World is taking us to The Greatest Show on Earth, in St. Louis! My kids are so blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment