Thursday, September 3, 2009

Parking Lot Panic

Feeling a little frustrated this morning. Today is Izzy's ninth day in Preschool. We live down the street from his school that offers prek-5th grade. Most days I have walked Izzy to school and both of the boys love it. Days like today, however, the weather requires a car ride. I have tried twice now, to pull up to the drop off spot and let Izzy out. The first try, he panicked leaving me in a jam, because Asher is in his car seat and parents are waiting in line behind me. Luckily, his sweet teacher saw him upset and rescued the both of us. I have read the school handbook, which requests that car riders pull up in the drop off zone and take their turn, not letting kids out until you are directly in front of the doors and then pull away. Parents aren't to let their kids off anywhere else and drive off for safety purposes. We are also not supposed to block the buses. Today was our second try. I saw the empty buses sitting in the drop off zone, pulled up behind them ready to wait my turn so Izzy could walk up the stairs on his own and I could watch him walk in. Unfortunately, the buses seem to just sit there empty and parents behind me, just started letting their kids off, literally anywhere. One parent honked at me, pulled up next to me and let their probably 5th grader out in a "unsafe" area and gave me a dirty look. Here is my frustration. I don't want to cause others to be late, but I am not doing anything unsafe, or against our instructions. I have a preschooler who is still in a car seat. I can't just pull up like that 5th grade mother, and stop for 12 seconds as her kid lets herself out and drive off. I have to park, get him out of the car seat and send him up the stairs. I also have to be aware of Asher, because I can't leave him either. I waited as long as possible, and when I saw that the buses weren't moving, I walked to the sidewalk with Izzy and watched him get inside. I have this horrible feeling, like what if his class had already walked to their classroom (at the complete opposite end of the school) and he is just inside unsure of where to go, all because I don't want other parents to be frustrated with me? I am going to talk to his teacher about this and figure it out today. I am sure some of this anxiety is just my own "control" issues and also wanting Izzy to love school and not start his day off in a panic. I would hate for him to spend his day feeling like I am right now.

Hoping my baby is safe and sound in his room today. 11:30 can't come quickly enough for me.

UPDATE: I spoke with his teacher's assistant after school today. I feel a little better with the process and I think so does Izzy. Crossing my fingers he doesn't panic as we try again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. good luck tomorrow! K had a difficult time at first too. for a little while, i actually parked the car in the parking lot, and just walked him over. now he gets out of the car and runs up the steps. geez that kid is getting big... they grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete