Friday, September 4, 2009

Lovey the Lion

ROAR!

That is what I have been hearing since Monday. Monday is the day my little Lovey decided to walk. Apparently, the only way he can keep his balance is by growling/roaring like a lion. Every time he almost falls, he lets out this gut roar and wobbles a bit and then manages to keep it together. Monday is also the day he decided that he is hot stuff and no longer needs direction or parents. He is a man now.

Take today for instance. Izzy and I were going to go play in his room and I told my little lion to come along. He walked a couple of steps, gave me a look like "wait a minute, I'm my own man now" and turned the opposite way and roaringly took his own path. Yes, it ended in the same place, but he did it his own way. Whatever works, lovey. During diaper changes, he has decided I am ruining his life and play schedule. He simply does not have the time to stop for stuff like that anymore. He has lots of walking and independent things to do.

Yesterday, we had our first battle of the wills. Wanna guess who won? That's right. Mommy. Insert "hero" music here.
It all started with a poopie diaper and ended an hour and a half later. Yes 90 minutes. At dinner time. Because I asked for 1 minute of non-walking. I know there is no reasoning with a 14 month old, but really? Now, anyone who knows Asher knows he is super happy, laughs all of the time and rarely gets upset-unless he has spotted what could be food and has not been offered any. My boys do not joke when it comes to food. It is serious business. So, back to war. I tried my normal distraction tactics and they all failed miserably. Then it happened. Crying moved into the scary purple tantrum zone and I just stood there with my mouth open for about 1 minute. Where did my little lovey go? When I tried to comfort him, it got worse. Mommy mode kicked back in and I said calmly, "Ash, we do NOT act this way. Are you ready to eat dinner?" He flipped himself over and flung his head back into that weird body formation that you can't really hold. I took him to the rocker, spoke softly in his ear, and it just escalated. Finally, I did what I did when Izzy had tantrums when he was under 2. Laid him in his crib and checked on him every couple of minutes. That is where the next 60 minutes happened. Constant checking and he would seem to calm down and when I would try to pick him up to go to the kitchen it would start again. Finally, the last time I went in and he put his hands up for me to pick him up and he nestled his head into my chest and we snuggled for a few minutes. My little man, had decided it was too much work being independent and he was ready for his Mommy again. Immediately, he turned back into my snugly, sweet, happy baby and had dinner and played nicely with Izzy before bed.

I have to say, I am still in shock that all of that drama came from the little guy. Izzy threw his share of tantrums, don't get me wrong, but Asher took it to a new level. My parents of course, just wanted to run in and rescue him and probably thought I was neglecting him by having him calm himself in his room. I felt like I did the best thing I knew to do. Stay calm and comforting, but not allow him to get attention for a tantrum. Today went much more smoothly. There were still lots of roars and growling, but not a single tantrum. I am sure that wasn't the last tantrum or battle of the wills, but I plan on winning all of them! ROAR!!!!!


1 comment: