Thursday, November 5, 2009

6:59


There is a new rule in my house I like to call it the "Mommy can function rule." Izzy is not allowed out of his bed (potty is the exception) until 7:00 a.m. Apparently, this boy got my Dads genes. Let me give you a small glimpse into my life as a child. My Dad can wake up at 4:00 a.m. singing like he is Mary Poppins. Did he care that maybe the rest of the house might have a few more hours of wonderful and much needed sleep? No! Why? Because he is a natural early riser. This makes me think just how early is he going to start waking up when he is 70? He is going to have dinner at like 2 in the afternoon...anyway I digress. Back to Izzy. Izzy has been waking up at 5:30. I could barely type that because I did not get my dads early rising genes and that doesn't even feel like a real time. For the last couple of weeks Izzy comes in our room as quiet as a mouse, uses our bathroom and then I can feel him hot breathing me. I can't like this routine at all. I keep my eyes closed and wait him out. Finally he heads back downstairs to his room...so I thought. Turns out, he has been going to my parents room, and watching cartoons. Um, that isn't going to work for me. No wonder he is grouchy at Noon!

Last night, we are all sitting at dinner and I explain the new rule. The "You are not allowed out of your bed for any reason unless the house is on fire or you have to potty rule". The consequence to such a major morning disaster? No TV for the entire day. Ouch, that one hurts. I remember getting grounded from TV as a child and thinking "This day will never end!"

So how did this morning go? He came upstairs to potty at 6:30, then returned to his room. I heard the baby crying at 6:59 and went to Izzy's room to release him into the new day. He was sitting on his bed in a complete pout. I said, "Good Morning, Love, what is wrong?" Izzy- "I am so sad, because 7:00 takes a long time. Look, it has said 6:59 forever. ( I am sure he thinks that because he can't tell time yet.)" As he is showing me, it turns to 7:00, and he jumps up and down and says "Good Morning Mommy! I have been waiting a long time to say that to you!!!!"

He followed the rules, so Max and Ruby, you are safe for another day.

How did the baby who slept from 7:30p-10:30a every single day turn into the 4 year old who wakes up before the birds?



No comments:

Post a Comment