Monday, November 2, 2009

The Paper Warehouse Ban.



My Mom asked me to bring the boys in costume to her work Friday. The boys were dressed as Mario and Luigi and were the cutest things ever! As we were heading to Grandmas office, we had a mustache malfunction and since this is a crucial part of the ensemble, we had to make it right. I thought we would make a quick run into Paper Warehouse to get a new sticky mustache and we would be on our way. OH how I was wrong.

Izzy is sensitive and he is especially sensitive to things he thinks are "ugly". We are very careful about what we allow him to see and hear and if he feels a show is too "ugly" he will come have me change it. Izzy is his own monitor and I really appreciate that about him. He has noticed that a few houses were decorated with ghosts and scary pumpkins and he let me know that he didn't really appreciate those particular neighbors choice of decor. Obviously, I hadn't thought this shopping trip out, b/c if he was frightened by a carved pumpkin at Noon, a store 1/2 filled with spooky characters and scary masks was not the store for him.

However, I didn't realize my mistake, until after I asked for assistance so I could just grab the mustache and head out. I went down an aisle filled with wigs, makeup and didn't realize that the other side was masks. Suddenly, I hear a child with a shrill scream that would make you think they were being kidnapped....then I realized that it was MY child screaming at the opposite end of the aisle. He refused to take another step and was completely hysterical. I grabbed the mustache that was directly in front of me, but I was not quick enough. Israel had completely lost all control and was hyperventilating, screaming, and was in a complete state of panic. The store clerk, yelled down the aisle, "I am going to grab him and get him a balloon." I was behind her, but had to make up the length of the aisle between us and on my walk of shame back, I noticed all of the judgemental looks from mothers. (Why are we so mean to each other? That is another post.) As I am turning the corner, I hear my sweet, scared son say "YOU ARE A STRANGER AND I DO NOT WANT TO GET IN YOUR CARRRRRRRRRR!" Suddenly, this bad trip had turned into what he felt was a kidnapping situation. Could I traumatize my child anymore in 5 minutes? I finally get to the counter and hug him and apologize that he is scared and promise we are leaving right away when he says to the clerk, "Lady, I'm sorry, but I HATE your store. It is too ugly for me and I am never coming back here." She tried to change his mind, but he wasn't having it. Even 2 free balloons didn't do it. I quickly paid and put my boys in the car to head to Grandmas, all the while thinking, knowing Izzy, how did I not see that coming? I felt horrible for him and felt so guilty. I don't ever want my children to be scared and I think it is super important to keep your children innocent for as long as possible. Izzy and I had a long talk on the way to Grandmas and I told him that all of that stuff is fake and there is nothing to be scared of and he gave me a serious warning..."Mommy, this is your last chance. If you EVER take me to that scary store again, I will be so MAD at you!"

Paper Warehouse is officially banned from Fall shopping. Thank goodness, their birthdays are both in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment