Thursday, November 19, 2009

Potty Party!


This week Izzy made a huge accomplishment. He no longer needs pull-ups when sleeping!!!! When potty training Izzy at 2, I asked my Pediatrician her opinion on cold turkey training (no pull-ups at all or allow them for sleep times until he is dry on his own). Her response was to allow his body to direct the timing, as most children don't develop the ability to hold for a full night of sleep until 5 years of age. Izzy has been dry at nap time for a couple of months, but I continued to let him wear them because I didn't want him to get upset at himself if he was to have an accident. Tuesday we ran out of pull-ups and I decided what better time to test it out than now? He took at 3 hour nap and woke up dry and completely proud of himself!!! I told him I would have a big surprise for him being such a big boy.

The next day while he was at school, I decorated his room with 100 balloons and home made signs. I bought an army toy kit complete with a compass, binoculars, head set, badge, and helmet to reward his success. I had his whole room decorated and ready and Grandma and Asher were waiting there to surprise him. When I picked him up, I told him I had a surprise for him and he opened his bedroom door and squealed in delight!!! His very own POTTY PARTY!!! We celebrated and played with balloons and his new toy. He told me over and over, "thank you Mommy for giving me a special day. This is the coolest!"

I think the biggest lesson I have learned from being a Mommy, is making a kid feel happy and special costs almost nothing, but a little time. I spent $3 and I think that day is something he will always remember. Who wouldn't like to wake up to a room full of balloons? A sure way to wake up happy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment