Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What a weekend!


I spoke too soon on my last post. Late Thursday and Friday were spent crying and sick. I am not a wimpy person, I have been through MANY things and lots of them physically painful, but I have never had such a horribly painful stomach virus in my life. I felt so sorry for my poor babies and what they had been through just days earlier.

Once again, my Superman rushed in to save the day. He took care of the kids before school and set me up for my day. I plopped myself on the couch and cried for mercy. Just a couple of hours later, I got a call from Superman himself telling me he had done his mandatory work and was coming home to rescue me. He studied from home for the rest of the day, took care of the kids, cleaned and cooked. *heart melt*

Hubby then woke up at 6:45 on a SATURDAY morning and studied for 12 hours. Sunday was the same routine for him. I know that I could look at this different ways and maybe be a little resentful of the time and dedication it takes to do well in med school, but I simply can't feel like that. I have always been proud of my Hubby. He has from day one of our marriage, put our family first. He has worked so hard and put time and extra effort into every job to not just do his job, but succeed in every position. Every boss he has ever had has said the same thing about him: Give him something to accomplish and he will get it done successfully and in half of the time of anyone else. He is fantastic at time management and has managed to completely balance our family life and the overwhelming demands of med school. Saturday night when I thought he would just collapse (keep in mind he was sick just like the rest of us, and still studied the whole week through) instead, he asked me out on a surprise date. We asked Mom and Dad if we could just run out for dinner and some grocery shopping once the boys were in bed and they gladly sent us on our way. Now dinner and grocery shopping might not seem like much of a date, but these days, it really doesn't matter what we do if we get the chance to catch up and spend some quality time. We had such a fun night and at dinner we couldn't stop laughing. After the week we had, it was exactly what we needed. Once we were home, we snuggled in and watched a movie. Just enough of a break so that poor Hubby's head didn't explode.

The virus wasn't done reeking havoc on our family just yet. Late Saturday night my Mom came down with it. Sunday morning she informed me that my Dad had a very important client that had bought tickets for the 4 of them to go to the New Dinner Theater and she was too sick to join. Guess who got to sub? ME!!! Mommy who spent her whole week, cleaning up vomit, consoling crying kids, hubby, and even myself, cleaning, the non-stop laundry and just plain ol' exhaustion, got to get all dolled up and go on a special fancy work date with my Dad. The dinner was delicious, the show was hilarious and I felt refreshed.

Sometimes caring for everyone can make you just feel like a robot. It was so nice for two days in a row to go out and feel like a young woman. Turns out, I didn't do so badly as my Dads date because his client loved me. If Dad earns a bonus, I might need a cut of it! Cha-Ching!

All in all, last week was a rough one, but ended on a great note. I have a new appreciation for myself and my Hubby. I learned you can will yourself to do pretty much anything even if it is cleaning up vomit one more time. I learned that there is no limit to the pride I feel for my Hubby. He just constantly amazes me with how well he takes care of us and still manages to do really well in school. I don't know anyone else who would put the kind of time in he does and I love him so much for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment