Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Obsessed.

I am slightly obsessed with Baby shows. I can't help myself, I love babies. Lately, I have stopped watching A Baby story and Bringing Home Baby and now fill my obsession through "I Didn't know I was pregnant" and "Pregnant And", both on Discovery.

On last nights "Pregnant And" they showed an almost 30 year old, married, mother of an 18 month old son, who happened to be homeless and 9 months pregnant. Her son was being cared for by a Grandma, but neither sets of family would help the parents. The husband had a criminal record and found it difficult to find another job after being laid off. They lost their house, and started camping on a mountain in a National Forest. She bathed in a creek, and pan handled for enough grocery money to buy healthy food for her and her unborn baby. The story broke my heart and I cried the whole way through. Having a baby is scary enough, but not having a home to keep your new baby warm and safe is devastating. She was able to get prenatal care through the state, but they warned her if she didn't set up housing, she would most likely lose the child to the system. Just two days before having her new son, they found someone who would exchange temporary housing for work. The couple were able to bring both of their boys home and applied for food stamps to provide meals. It reminded me, in this economy, how quickly your family lifestyle can change and how grateful I should be that I can provide such wonderful shelter, warmth and fill my babies tummies without much thought at all.

As if that wasn't gut-wrenching enough, I followed it up with a "I Didn't know I was Pregnant" episode. Now normally, I just sit and scoff at the idea of a pregnancy without a single symptom or more so, that these women tend to have most of the symptoms, but just don't show (no cycles, mild weight gain, mood swings, cravings, morning sickness) and still have no clue. This episode was slightly different in that, the young woman had MS which caused lapses of numbness and paralysis of her right side. Her cycles remained consistent and she had gained 10 pounds, but didn't know that she was pregnant and already had a baby with a severe heart defect. Next thing you know she is screaming in pain on the toilet and has the urge to push. Then they see that she has given birth to a baby girl and are in a complete state of shock. As they are wrapping up the baby, she continues to bleed heavily and having pain. Thinking she is delivering the after-birth, pushes again, but is once again shocked to find ANOTHER baby girl. A woman gave birth to identical twin girls in her toilet without a single clue she was pregnant. OH MY WORD!!!!

The babies were premature, but healthy. Another miracle is that for the entire year previous to their birth, her right side was paralyzed. While waiting for word on her new twins and wondering how they were going to care for them with her sickness and paralysis, the feeling came back and she went into remission!!! Her son had surgery and was completely healthy, her MS was in remission and two premature babies that were born in her toilet were perfect and well.

Needless to say, I passed out in a puddle of my own tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment