Thursday, February 18, 2010

Give me 5's!


I started a new tradition at our house and it all came from a dream. Sounds weird, but it is true. The other night, I had a dream that while I was putting Izzy to bed, I counted out on my hands 5 things I loved about him. Then he counted 5 things about me, and we high-fived! Well, last night I tried it. After our bedtime prayer, I told him about my idea and he loved it.
I went first.
Izzy, I LOVE:
1. Your smile.
2. That you are neat and tidy.
3. You have great hair.
4. You are a great sharer.
5. You are so loving to your brother.
Izzy was glowing and said Thank you after every single one.

Then Izzy went.
Mommy, I LOVE:
1. You are a good Mommy.
2. I love you.
3. I like you.
4. You take good care of my brother.
5. I just love you so much.

There we are, feeling so good about ourselves, big smiles on our faces and our 5's in the air. We high-five and give each other a big kiss.

Every kid loves to hear about their good qualities, but especially Izzy. His love language would totally be words of affirmation. I am so glad I had this idea, because it got me thinking, some days kids just have a bad day and no matter how hard they try, they are in a funk. They spill things, mess things up, get in time-out. What better way to send your kid to bed, than with a few simple things you adore about them? It even made me feel better too.

In fact, Izzy loved it so much he made me do it twice that night, so he went to bed with 10's. :) This morning the first thing out of his mouth was, "Hi Mama! I was thinking all night about my 5's and I can't wait to tell you them tonight." In the car on the way to school, he said, "I just have to tell you one really quick, I love that you play pirates with me." I don't even think he is going to be able to wait until bed time every night, but that is ok with me. I want my boys to know how much I adore them, and especially on one of their funky days.

What traditions do you have with your kids that they love?

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I can't wait to do this with my daughter someday.

    ReplyDelete