Monday, July 19, 2010

Therapy

I have never been to therapy, although, I have had several traumatic reasons too and probably should have. Thursday was Judahs birthday and I was emotionally spent...and still am. I am running on beyond empty. My mind is cluttered. My body feels weak. Things in my life seem to come in surges. I never just deal with one big thing, it is always like 10 big things. Example? ...well, take finding out I had a benign tumor in my jaw and had to have emergency surgery within 5 days, the same week we were moving, and Hubby got laid off. All within 2 weeks. STRESS!

The day after Judahs birthday I woke up and just had an urge to organize something. I started with the boys closets. I do both often, probably once a month. But this time, I went shopping and bought some organizational bins, much needed after the boys birthdays, and 2 hanging clothes organizers. I gutted everything and started from scratch and within just a couple of hours, I had it looking like a perfect little Gap store inside. Clothes perfectly rolled, folded, and hung according to color, season and purpose. Izzy now has a shelf just for play clothes, so when he wants to dress himself he knows where he can pull from. This has made my laundry life so much easier already because I am not constantly trying to find clothes I thought were already clean just to find out he put them on for 5 minutes and then threw them in the dirty basket. I showed Hubby my work and he was very impressed. Izzy loves his closet and has been great about putting everything exactly where it goes. He is just like his Momma!

After the closets, I felt like I could breathe again. I know it is weird, but it works. When I shared all of my accomplishments with my cousin Melissa, she said "Organization is your therapy." So true. When I am emotionally spent, the best way for me to get back on track is to get things in order. I have heard before that the state of your house is a window into your mental state. If you have a cluttered, messy house, it reflects the same kind of mind. This summer has been a blur. Everything has moved so fast and I only had a day or two in between huge events and trips. Was my house out of control..no. But, surface clean is no good for me. I think of everything that needs to be done and I get overwhelmed. I have several projects I will be working on over the next month, one is my room and master closet. The other is my Dads office. His office is a hot mess. He is a musician. He runs a company. He is an avid reader. On top of all of that he literally saves EVERYTHING and wants a file for it. God love 'em. Once the kids were in bed, I spent the rest of the night making folders and labels. Sounds boring i'm sure, but I enjoyed it so much. I love the accomplishment of making a "spot" for everything. This office is going to be a huge challenge as he has so many different facets to fit in to one area. He has so many books, it could double as a library. Piles upon piles of music sheets and CD's. Cards and letters from the 80's to now and we haven't even got to all of his work files. I can't even think that far. It's a lot, but I am excited to have a big project I can plug away at and relieve some stress and have it be time well spent.

I think I will be making lots of appointments in the next few weeks with my therapist- the label maker. I might even take some before and after pictures. Lucky you. :) With Hubby back to his schedule, I think I am going to start making time for myself each night to work on these projects. My goal is to be completely organized by the time Izzy starts Kindergarten. That way we can all start on the right foot and Mommy's head is clear and focused for the enormous amounts of paperwork and appointments that comes with having a little one in school.

So, what's your therapy?

No comments:

Post a Comment