Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm a big kid now.


It's over, and I made it! Izzy officially finished his first day of Kindergarten. He was happy and excited to go to school this morning.





He ran into our room with a giant smile on his face and got ready without prompting.





I made his special breakfast with my "K" pancakes and he giggled and said, "This makes me so happy!"

I packed my first lunch and then I cried.


Daddy and I walked him to school and he held our hands the whole way.



We walked him into class, he gave me a kiss, walked up to Mrs. C and gave her a hug and went about hanging his backpack and finding a seat like an old pro. Didn't even look back. I made it out of the school and back to our walking trail before I completely lost it. It helped so much to have Hubby by my side and have a few moments with him to reflect on the time with Izzy. Hubby said, "That went much better than I thought." I replied, "What, you mean Izzy?" He laughed and said, "No you!" lol I really didn't know if I could do it. I pictured myself grabbing him at the last minute and saying, "I made a big mistake, lets homeschool!" But, seeing his face and how excited he was to meet his friends and see Mrs. C, I knew it was the right thing.

It was a quiet day at home without Izzy. I knew to expect that, Asher is a quiet little guy and with the whole no talking thing...I didn't have much convo. We were both so excited to pick up Izzy from his first day and I couldn't wait to hear how it went. The whole pick-up situation at the school was purely chaotic. Buses were late and the bus kids are released first so everyone was delayed by almost 20 minutes. I finally checked him out of the office and headed home and he told me every detail of his day. He met new friends, he did projects, he practiced his writing, he had gym for the first time and played dodge ball, he had lunch and loved his packed lunch, sang songs, had a snack, it all sounded so fun. He said he LOVES Kindergarten and that just made my day. As hard as it was to send him off to school for the day, I know he is going to do wonderful and eventually so will Asher and I.

When we finally arrived home, I surprised him with S'mores as an after school snack and then took him to QT for a cool drink. Of course, he thought it was the best idea I have ever had!

Kindergarten is very tiring and Izzy asked that from now on, I don't walk him to school because he is just too worn out. So we will make a few adjustments, but overall the day went perfectly! He was so ready for bed at 7, he didn't even want to do our bedtime routine.

My goal this week is to figure out our new school routine and get organized. I am making flash cards for his sight words he needs to memorize this quarter and I am also updating the family calendar with ALL of the school info for the next couple of months. There is a lot. Each day is a letter day A-E and depending on the day is their "specials" like art, gym, library so I need to dress him accordingly.
After I get a routine set, I am going to focus my energy on Asher. My playdates have always focused on Izzy and Asher just tagged along, but now we can do things he loves and will enjoy. Can't wait to have special time with Lovey.

Thanks to all of my friends who prayed for me and Izzy this week. So far so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment