Monday, November 15, 2010

Quiet Weekend * Updated*

This may have been the quietest weekend I have ever had. Friday I was still feeling pretty yucky. I finally made it to naptime, shut the door to Ashers room when I got the call from Izzy's school saying that I needed to pick him up. 101+ fever and a horrible headache, poor guy. My dream of a sweet nap faded away and the realistic ideas flooded in of taking care of another sicky all weekend. Hrmph.

Those selfish thoughts quickly faded when I saw my sick little one. His face was flushed and his eyes were weepy. I practically had to carry him to the car because the weight of his own body seemed too much for him. He went straight to bed and slept for 4 hours. All of those selfish thoughts for nothing...I got a nap after all.

We spent the next two days in our pj's doing crafts, having nerf gun fights, watching movies, making yummy snacks, making our Christmas wish lists and napping when needed. I had plenty of time to prepare for the week and the house (maybe for the first time ever) was clean when I woke up on a Monday morning! *cue Angels rejoicing*

Asher decided to take what seemed to be a sinus headache for Izzy and turn it into a full blown cold for himself because now my little lovey has quite the cough and warm to touch. I am so over the cold/flu season already.

Today is going to be another quiet day for me so I have decided that since I will be home anyway I should take full advantage of the time and get myself organized. I like to think of myself as a pretty organized lady. My kids are scheduled like they are in an Army bootcamp and my days run pretty smoothly. My closets have a spot for everything. I have a label maker and I am not afraid to use it. There does, however, always seem to be one cleaning project that is just out of my reach on a daily basis and no matter how much I have accomplished, it leaves me feeling a sense of failure for the day.

Then I came across a cleaning spreadsheet that you can view here.
Brilliant! Now, I do have my cleaning routine in my head, but I am a total list person. If I write down a list of 40 things to get done in a day, I can cross that stuff off like nothing. I have certain days that are more heavy cleaning than others, like for instance, Tuesdays, which is when I start my laundry. I start my laundry at 7:30 a.m. and normally by Wednesday night everything is folded and I start putting everything away. I know in my head I am normally home on Tuesdays and I arrange playdates and errands for other days. My idea is to print of my cleaning schedule and put it in one of those plastic slips and put it in a clip board to hang in my laundry room. Add a dry/erase marker and each day I can cross of my list as I go making my time as efficient as possible and hopefully adding much more quality time with my sweet boys.

This whole idea gave me flashbacks to my childhood, because growing up each Saturday my Dad would write a list of To-Do's on a yellow legal pad and he would work on that list for the weekend. His favorite quote when we were little was "If you fail to plan, plan to fail."


My goal today is to print of my personal cleaning list and start my week off right with planning that hopefully ends up with a lot accomplished! I can't wait to see the look on Dad's face when he sees my clipboard! All of those inspirational quotes worked, Dad! :)

*Update*
So my link didn't work, and that is okay because Hubby challenged me to make my own spreadsheet and make it more personalized to how I would use it. So I did. I am super excited. I just have to find a clipboard and I am ready to go.
Here is my list hanging up and ready for me to start crossing off items! I have it in a plastic sleeve and that way I can write in my menu and grocery items each week! Fabulous! And below the list is a closer shot of the first column.

Yay for organizing! Feeling much less overwhelmed already.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about the cleaning spreadsheet! (the link didn't work by the way...one too many http//, but I figured it out! :)) I've been looking for something to get my butt in gear and have a cleaning schedule down. This will be perfect! Is it weird that I'm excited to print it out and get started on it?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I fixed it. And no, I don't think it is weird at all. I have been so excited all day and I have gotten so much more accomplished this morning than normal even with a sick kid!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZERS! Can't wait to Skype with you and get all the details in real life! Look at you, all efficient! MARCUS! LOL

    ReplyDelete