Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Break Day 3


WoW. I'm exhausted. My arms feel like jello and everything else just hurts. It was one of those super fun days that leave you feeling like you could sleep for days. Summary: Crown Center to see the Under the Sea exhibit, shopping, picnic lunch, Kaleidoscope and ended with a yummy treat from a local bakery (for the boys, don't worry I didn't cheat). That sounds like a lot and it was, but then you add in the walking, and with the enormous amounts of people that all had the same idea as I did, I had to carry Asher for 60% of it in fear that he would get trampled. Of course all of the escalators are broken, and the elevators move at a snails pace and everything we did was about 5 floors apart with 2 sets of stair cases for each. Oh and did I mention Asher doesn't do stairs...yeah. EXhaustion! Even with all of that, it was so worth it. The weather was perfect, my boys were so well behaved and helpful and I was able to experience some firsts with Asher and have great memories. Turns out, Asher is an amazing painter! Now, I would not know this because I am to OCD to get paint out, but I will have to now. He got into this crazy "artist" zone and I was just shocked at his focus and not to mention that he didn't get a drop off of his paper. Time to buy Asher some of his own art supplies...he gets it from Daddy for sure. The amount of people was definitely overwhelming, but I just reassured the boys that we were in no hurry and to enjoy what they were doing. We shared lots of good talks and many more laughs. Great day.

Wish I could stop there, but it has to be said, both of my kids (ages 5 & 2) spent the entire day watching people and how they treated others and commenting on others lack of manners. At one point a 10-ish yr old literally almost trampled me to get a marker, when I turned to him and said, "You might want to say excuse me next time and ask nicely." He gave me a dirty look and pushed a few more people to get out of his way. Another time, the boys and I found a small table with two seats in the corner where no one was around. It was perfect. The boys didn't feel rushed and were able to work on their project. A Dad in business attire, comes over with his two sons to see what we are working on. When they realized they wanted to do our station next, instead of encouraging them to wait patiently he let them take over the table. Izzy was trying to put some supplies back and only lifted himself from the chair when one of his kids pushed himself onto Izzy's chair, underneath him! I was just shocked! I looked right at the Dad and he ignored them. Izzy then looked at me and said, "Mom that isn't fair, I wasn't done!" So, I say while looking right at his sons, "Sorry, Izzy. That wasn't kind. Let's go find another station where people use manners." I understand that sometimes kids get excited and forget their training, but seriously? The parents are with the kids and allowing them to bully their way around. What happened to manners and patience and what happened to parents being a good example?

My boys aren't perfect by any means, but I can say confidently, that even my 2 year old knows better than to behave that way with or without me. I am so over kids acting like animals, doing whatever it takes to get what they want. I am even more over the parents that don't spend the time training them to be respectful. Honest, it really doesn't take much to teach your children to keep their hands to themselves and practice patience. It takes even less to teach them a simple "please" and "thank you". Didn't appreciate that it tarnished our day a bit, but it is kind of a good lesson to my boys. I can't tell you how many times I heard Asher say, "Dat so ugly." about someone who was being rude or throwing a fit. They got to see first hand how ugly it really is to act without respect for others. Sadly, I can count 2 people from the entire day that were kind. That is ridiculous.

Day 4 of spring break is going to be super fun, a beautiful day spent with friends! Can't wait, because I know they have great manners. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment