Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Personal Space.

Odd things are happening lately.

Last week, I took the boys on a play date at a park with some friends. This park is very nice and during the week it is very quiet. This particular day, I pull up in the empty lot except for 3 police cars. I waited for my friend to arrive, when I realized the police officers were actually on the play ground questioning 2 older gentlemen. They had 2 dogs (unleashed) and the whole situation just felt creepy. This park is quite large, it offers picnic areas, trails and sports fields. I was trying to figure out why two older men, would be sitting in a children's play area and allow their dogs to run free. When clearly, there is lots of other space they could choose from. Just then, my friend arrives, and as I am getting out my stroller we talk about how weird the situation is and decide to find another park. The police leave at this time but the older men stay. I open my car door to get back in, and one of their dogs jumps in my drivers seat! Gross! My boys were screaming, and then I realize I am screaming. Followed by the realization that I am the Mommy who has to get this strange dog out of my car. Ick! I finally get the dog out and I apologize to my leather seats as we head to the other park.

Park #2 is also nice and quiet and sits back pretty far, you actually have to walk a trail to get to it. We were so relieved to see we were the only ones there. We set up a blanket to have a picnic with the kids and we start to enjoy the day. The boys are playing on the play ground right in front of us, babies are snacking on our blanket. Everything was going great, when an older couple walking their 2 dogs leave the trail and make their way right to us. We stop talking and just sit there a little stunned trying to figure out what their plan is. (Side note: You know when weird things happen and it seems like everything is in slow motion? That is this whole scenario. Annnnnd Action!) The boys run over to us, a little worried about the strangers, and the couple walk their dogs directly over to us, stand in the middle of our blanket and let their dogs sniff our babies and their snacks! My friend and I couldn't even form a sentence! We just sat there with our mouths wide open, waiting for common sense to hit this complete stranger. Who does stuff like that? He actually told us not to worry, that his dogs were just curious. WHAT? I am curious too, why are you in my personal space? Why are you letting your nasty dogs sniff my baby? Why are you standing on the blanket I plan on putting my food? That is what I should have said, but of course I didn't because I am a chicken. Finally, after what seemed like at least 5 minutes, they get their dogs out of our space and we think we are in the clear and let our boys go play again. Just minutes later, the couple walk over to the play ground and sit on the bench staring at our boys. I quickly called both of them over and distracted them with a soccer ball to play close to us. My friend and I were in shock and were sure we were on an episode of Punked. This day just kept getting more unusual. We decided to pack up and head home, we couldn't take one more incident and clearly, the boys couldn't play in a child's area without strangers and dogs. Turns out, the couple were looking for the perfect spot to take a family picture with their dogs. Which, I think, explains everything.


In summary, last week I was attacked by strange old people and their dogs.

1 comment:

  1. yikes! that's just creepy. i'm the same way when it comes to confrontation. way too often, i sit there with my mouth hanging open, unable to form a sentence and tell the rude idiots just what i think of their actions. i hope your next trip to the park goes a little less eventful!

    ReplyDelete