Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sing

The boys go to bed promptly at 7 every night. There is very rarely a struggle or delay, so tonight caught me by surprise. I walked by Izzy's room at 9 p.m. and heard him singing loudly "America the Beautiful." Not a song you normally hear a 4 year old sing on their down time. He was singing with such sweet conviction, I didn't want to interrupt him, but it is 9 and he does have school tomorrow. I enter his room and find him a little disturbed that I had interrupted him. After a short conversation, I ask why he is singing so late at night. He replied, " Because Mommy, it is my job. God sings to me and he likes when I sing back to him. That is what I have to do, I have to sing. It is my job." I couldn't really argue with that because it is the truth. I am sure there is nothing sweeter to Gods ears than to hear the innocent praise from a child's mouth.

I have noticed him saying this a lot lately. We pray each day on the way to school. He always prays first and it normally goes something like this: "Dear God, thank you for this day. Help my Mommy and Ashie, be good and not get into trouble. Help my friends and family and keep us safe and healthy. Help us all to be obedient and good friends. In Jesus name, Amen."
The past few days he has added this line, "Thank you God for singing to me when I sleep."
This thought alone gets me.

So when he let me know that singing was his job, I could do nothing more than agree with him and give him a giant hug and a kiss. Next time, I think I will let him sing a little while longer, and maybe hope to catch it on video. You never know what Gods plan is for that little one. Maybe Izzy knows something I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment