Sunday, November 8, 2009

Big Sister.


I have a brother. He is 3 1/2 years younger and being his big sister was a lot of work. My parents have told me that I was so severely shy as a toddler (hello Izzy) that they felt it was necessary to have another child to force me to be social. I hate to say it, but as children, we didn't get along so well. I am quick witted and more verbal and that frustrated him greatly. He couldn't quite get out what he wanted to and would end up hitting me instead. I felt like a mature old lady trapped in a little girls body while my brother was like a circus clown always ready to entertain and get the laugh. If there was a rule, I followed it and he broke it. If there was danger, I avoided it while he ran towards it. As we grew to teenagers, we fought more and avoided each other as much as possible.

There is one story from my childhood that completely wraps up our relationship. One snowy-school cancelled day, my brother and his boy neighbor friend and I and my girl neighbor friend decide to build the sweetest snow forts around. We all worked super hard on them and just as the girls side was almost perfected, my 10 year old brother Jarrod, arrogantly walks over to inspect our work. I believe there was some trash talking exchanged and then my brother did the unthinkable! He kicked down our snow fort! Laughing hysterically, he walks back to his fort with attitude. I was not going to let him win so easily, so I walk to his fort, and return the favor ( in the most lady-like way possible.) Just as I am lifting my leg to damage his beloved fort, he picks up the metal snow shovel and threatens that if I EVEN think about it, he will hit me with the shovel. Pssssh, whatever! I slightly move my leg and the next thing I know I have a metal shovel coming at my face, but my brothers face showed everything. He had slipped and didn't mean to actually follow through with his threats, but actually hit me. I stood there for a minute, not feeling anything, but when I noticed our friends faces and the fact that my brother had quickly turned a shade of green, I knew something was wrong. I look down, to find myself standing in a few inches of red snow. My brother screamed and I took off running into the house. I had no idea where I was actually bleeding from, but the massive amounts of blood had completely freaked me out. I make it into my parents bedroom, my Dad sees my face and screams JARRRRRRRRROOOODDD! Now, doesn't that say everything? Couldn't I have slipped and hurt myself? He didn't even ask, he just started screaming at my brother! Apparently, when Jarrod slipped, the shovel turned so the blade was vertical and caught from the inside of my lip and cut open-down from my chin and neck. I was rushed to the emergency room and was quickly put back together. Amazingly, I have no scar from that incident. My brother felt horrible, and I knew he didn't intend to actually hurt me. This story, paved the way for many a guilt trip. If I ever needed anything, I just mention the shovel and I see the same face I did when he was 10 years old.


Jarrod and I are all grown up now, but our personalities are still the same. Jarrod is fun and free like the wind. I am all OCD and responsible. The difference now, we get along really well. I enjoy spending time with him and I think he is one of the funniest people I know. I guess, as a child, I felt responsible for him. I felt like I always had to clean up his messes and now, I can just enjoy him. Silly, fun Jarrod turned out to be a fantastic Uncle. My kids adore him. Who will play sword fights at 10 a.m? Uncle Jarrod will. Who enjoys watching kids movies just as much as my kids? Uncle Jarrod. Who is willing to babysit on a Friday night instead of hanging out with his own friends, even if it means changing diapers and putting 2 kids to bed on his own? My brother Jarrod. Right now, Uncle Jarrod is visiting. My Dad just installed the most gigantic TV in the basement and Jarrod and Izzy are laid out in recliners watching a kids movie while eating ice cream on a Sunday afternoon.

As much as I wished I would have been an only child as a kid, I am so glad I am not. Jarrod ended up being a very good brother and he makes me lighten up a bit. I am really thankful for that because when I see how my kids light up when he walks in, it makes me want to be a little more silly too.

1 comment:

  1. i have 1 younger brother, and 1 younger sister... and our childhood stories are probably pretty similar to yours. we are all such different people, we didn't begin to truly appreciate the differences between us that made us such good siblings. i like being a grown-up with siblings much more than i did being a kid with siblings. (they are 5 and 6 years younger than me, so the age difference made a big difference)

    ReplyDelete