Sunday, March 21, 2010

Big Boy


Wednesday was a normal day. One small thing happened that made me realize, my little Izzy is growing up right before my eyes. Recently, he has refused all help while getting ready in the morning. He showers himself, dries off, and dresses himself. Every day he does it correctly, I move his pirate and it makes him so proud. Wednesday, he did his routine, but this time said, "Mommy, I am big now. I am going to dry my own hair and you don't help me at all!" He did it, he blew his hair dry and combed it. Of course, I am a complete control freak so I had to re-comb, but essentially, he is at the point of not even needing me in the morning. 4 years old. *sigh*

In the last two months, I have watched Izzy really change from a little preschooler to a big boy. He requires much less direction and I find myself not having to tell him what comes next. If I ask him to clean his room now, within just a few minutes, I walk into a perfectly cleaned room with every item in its correct place. The only help he needs is making his bed, which I gladly do for him. If I tell him we are going somewhere, there is no need for reminders for shoes and jackets, by the time I wrangle Asher he is already in his seat buckled and waiting patiently.

This whole growing up thing makes me so proud of Izzy because he seems so responsible for 4 years old. Yet, I still have that pang of heartache, that hits every time I see him accomplish something else without my help. We are inching closer and closer to complete independence.

I really appreciate Izzy so much. He is such an obedient, sweet boy. He sets an amazing example for Asher and I need to remember to praise him more for it. He has really made our lives so easy and full of love. It has been amazing having him home all week during Spring Break and I am really sad to see him go back to school. How is Mommy going to cope when my little guy is in full day Kindergarten next year? I don't think my heart can take it...

No comments:

Post a Comment