Saturday, March 13, 2010

Date Night

Izzy and I got to have a Mommy/Son date night last night. I really need to make more of an effort to do that at least every other week. We had a blast and it was so fun to have some one on one conversation with him about topics that normally he would be too distracted to discuss.

We met up with a friend of mine "A" and her daughter "G" at Air Zone, a local jump place. It was family fun night and for $7 we had 2 hours open play with black lights and music. Izzy hasn't been there since he was 2 years old and he was so excited. I was even more excited, because the last time I was there with him, I was with a friend who was 8 months pregnant with twins and our 2 year olds had a hard time going through all of the obstacle course inflatables. So guess who got to climb through and push two kids up at the same time? That's right, ME! This time would be different. Izzy is 4 and is super tall and athletic. No need for help from Mommy this time. Or so I thought. First time through the obstacle course, he made it to this tunnel. The problem is, everything is dimly lit and then there are strobe lights and black lights so visibility is low. He couldn't tell where he was going and panicked. Next thing I know I just hear hysterical screaming and I think, "Oh poor kid." Hmmmm. Wait, Oh that is MY poor kid! So I have to calm him through mesh netting and he is screaming, "Get ME OUTTA HERE RIGHT NOW!!!" Can I get a refund? :) I told him the only way out, was to make it down the huge slide. Finally he figured out where to go and made it down. I run around to catch and soothe him and find him laughing and smiling. Wait. What? He said, "I did it Mommy! This is so fun, I am doing it again and again!" Whew. That was close. Izzy is a little claustrophobic, as am I, so not being able to find the end of the tunnel freaked him out a bit, but once he knew where everything led, he was fine.

A and I, watched and laughed as our kids ran around like crazies. Multiple times, they would run over to us with sweat dripping off of their face, words jumbled and lots of pointing. Just enough of a break, but not to let us think they were too tired or anything. G made it about an hour and a half and then was crying to be put to bed. Izzy and I stayed the full time and that is when we really started having fun together. We played air hockey a million times, he danced and sang to the latest Justin Beiber song, I watched him race kids down the slides. It was so fun.

After Air Zone, I took him to QT for a drink and a snack and then we sat in the car and talked about everything you could imagine. School, friends, Asher, What he wants to do this summer, Kindergarten. Then he said, "Mommy we should do our fives!" He went first:

1. Mommy, I love you because you are the best Mommy I know.
2. I love you to the stars in the sky.
3. You are the best driver.
4. I love going on dates with you.
5. Because we are best friends.

The fives have been a big hit, and we do them before bed every single night. Every night, I am surprised by a couple he says, but they are always so sweet and loving. Izzy and I had a great night out together.

As we pulled up in the driveway, he got a little teary and said, "You better get me into bed as fast as you can!" My little guy was totally tuckered out. Date night was a success. This is one of those nights I will remember when he is graduating High School. Insert mental image of Mommy crying *here*.

Date nights. They aren't just for Mommy's and Daddy's anymore. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment