Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh to be 16 again!

Sorry for the light posting last week, but it was Hubby's spring break. Thinking of my week in review, I thought of a story that made my mom call all of her friends to repeat, so you can be sure it is embarrassing!

Friday is the Medical School Formal, so my SIL so kindly joined me last week for a day of dinner and shopping for a pretty new cocktail dress. This event was a little frustrating to buy for. I have no idea what to expect and I don't know what other girls will be wearing. Hubby said, cocktail dress, so we went off on a hunt for a cute, but still (hopefully) age appropriate dress. We hit every store in the area that offered formal dresses that we could think of. I tried on any and everything that my SIL picked out for me.

Here are the lessons we learned:

1. I can't pull off the cupcake dresses. You know the kind that have 6 layers of ruffles and a huge bow under your bust. Right now, that is 85% of the formal dresses.

2. I need a form fitting dress for my body type. As cute as they are, I can't pull off the flowy shirt dresses or the bubble skirts or I look 5 months pregnant.

3. Tulle is very itchy.

Tulle, what a great transition for my story. Picture this: SIL and I trapped in a small, hot, horribly lit dressing room. She is prepping dresses for me and then zipping me up. While trying on one of those cupcake dresses (we didn't get the point until after like #8) I was telling her how uncomfortable it was underneath. Not only is it layered in taffeta ruffles on the outside, but it has layer upon layer of tulle and stretchy slip material that only measured about half of the length of the dress. It felt like a tulle wedgie. Trying to help me out, she goes up the dress with hands on either sides of my legs to pull the material down for me. With handfuls of material underneath, she says to me, "What is THIS?" and YANKS as hard as she can. Before I can even utter the words...there they are. My underwear by my knees! OH MY WORD, we laughed uncontrollably, tears were rolling down our faces and I am sure the professionals at Dillards wanted to kick us out for being too loud. It didn't matter to us, we were having so much fun. After a few minutes, we regrouped, but that is a moment I will never forget. We had so much fun and I haven't laughed like that in ages!

I finally did find a dress and paired with my super high Black Jessica Simpson heels, I think Hubby will be proud. I will be sure to take a picture and post it and blog all about my Prom night. SIL is sweet enough to offer to keep both kids overnight, so we don't have to worry about rushing home. We are so excited to get all fancy and make some great memories with friends. If finding a dress was this eventful, I can't wait to see what happens Friday!

1 comment:

  1. that sounds like so much fun! don't worry too much about not being able to wear the babydoll styled dresses... those are made especially for boob-less preteens. even at my skinniest, flowy shirt dresses and bubble skirts just turned my sexy-womanly figure into a sexy-pregnant-woman figure. have fun, and don't forget those pictures!

    ReplyDelete