Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Censor

I read a post today from a Dad and his opinion on TV shows and the effect on his kids. Being very cautious myself about what my kids view, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Dads point of view very similar to my own. With two boys ages 4 and 1, I currently feel safe with PBS (minus Dragon Tails-yuck) and Nick Jr. My kids don't watch anything else. If they do watch a show, I feel it should be educational and show good examples of family. Now, I know almost every parent detests Max and Ruby. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know what I really appreciate about that show? Finally, a show with siblings that get along and speak kindly to one another. Now, insert every Dad in the country saying "Where are the flippin bunny parents?" Me- "Who cares." It isn't about the parent/child relationship it is about siblings and I appreciate that. I am so over shows with siblings who are ugly and make it seem normal to argue. I am DETERMINED to raise my two boys to turn to each other for help, and to grow to be best friends. Arguing and unkindness is not allowed at my house. I am 100% pro Max & Ruby!

Izzy's favorite show right now is Sid the Science Kid on PBS. I love that he watches this show and the stuff he has learned is amazing! When he has computer time, he always goes to that site and plays science games or builds a roller coaster while learning about kinetic energy. Say what!?!

So what is absolutely not allowed in my house? Well, most things. The show I cannot stand the most is Spongebob. I have watched the show and it is funny in a dumb humor kind of way, but, my rule is if my brother likes the show....you know it isn't good for the boys. :) I think that show is intended for an older audience and almost all of the "jokes" are over Izzy's head so what is the point. Also, what educational value is SB bringing? *crickets*

My super duper great friend Stacy told me about a wonderful website she uses to preview movies for her daughter- http://www.kids-in-mind.com/. You can search for a movie and it will give a rating based on sex, violence and profanity. It is super detailed and even tells if one character gives another a flirty look. This has been so helpful when renting movies for our family movie night that we haven't already previewed. Izzy is his own "filter" and there have even been times where we have thought something was appropriate and he let us know we were wrong! I love that about him. Izzy has never watched any of the old movies I grew up on, not by my choice, but his. He doesn't like movies with an ugly villain, so throw out every Disney movie. lol!

Now this is strictly my opinion and how I choose to raise my kids, no judgement to anyone who doesn't choose the same. When Marcus and I were dating we loved going to see the latest animated movie on a date. When we had kids, we couldn't wait to share these movies we loved together, but watching them again as a parent, I have a different view. There is so many movies and shows that are marketed for small children which are so obviously not meant for them. Shout-out to Stacy for the heads up on the website!

I feel like one of the biggest challenges to parenting these days are keeping your child their age and not exposing them to too much too soon. Parenting is hard. I have already heard the, "But MOooooM! My friend ________ gets to watch this show." And that is when I turned into my Mother and said, "I don't care what your friends watch, I ain't their Mama!" And so it begins. Pretty soon, I will be saying, "This hurts me, more than it hurts you." and the ever famous "When I was a kid..."

How do you feel about what your kids are watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment