Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What do you do on a Wednesday night?


Have I ever told you about my Dad? I don't think so. My Dad is endlessly talented. He is simply amazing on the piano and organ. As a young teenager, he went to an Andrae Crouch concert and that night decided he was going to teach himself to play the piano. He tells the story of playing the Andrae record over and over and over again until he got it. From that, he learned to play by ear and now can play anything by hearing it a couple of times. Like I said, amazing. My Dads friends all play music and when they were young they formed a Christian band that toured all over. As a baby, I traveled with them in the bus. By the time my brother came along, the traveling slowed down and as we got older, Dad put business before music unless it was with the church. He has always said, if he hadn't met and married my Mother, he would have probably never married and instead become a professional musician.

Randomly, his friends will call him up and ask him to play for a corporate gig or concert and it is always so fun to hear him play. His friends are amazing as well and some even have their own CD's out. Tonight, they are practicing in the basement for an upcoming corporate event. Most of the stuff they are practicing tonight is Stevie Wonder or original jazz tunes. I LOVE Stevie. So as I am sitting in the basement, holding my boys and listening to "Isn't she lovely" and "I Wish", it hit me that this might not be normal. I am pretty sure I am the only one in my circle, who grew up on a tour bus, played during band practices, or slept through recording sessions on a school night. Or gets to hear a complete Stevie Wonder/Jazz concert on a Wednesday night.

It has been amazing growing up and listening to all of the musical talent I have been exposed to and now, my kids get the same experience. Well except, I put them to bed on time. :) Really hoping the musical talent gets passed down to my boys. I am pretty sure it has. Izzy can't hear a beat without his entire body moving. Tonight when they were playing and we were still eating dinner Izzy said, "Man this music is SO GOOD, I just gotta shake my HIPS!" Asher is the same, but he is more of an air drummer kinda guy. He hears a beat and the pretend sticks are in the air.

*****New Music Update: They are playing Billie Jean!!!!!********** Be jealous now.

If my kids were asleep, I am pretty sure they just woke up and are probably break dancing in their rooms. :)

Love my life, it is always interesting for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Billie Jean is not my lover, she's just a girl.." that Billie Jean? You are so lucky right now! I should download those songs on my itunes. :) What do I do a Wednesday night? Tonight I am debating whether or not I should do some chores while the boys are in bed or workout. But here I sit. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete