Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mommy Guilt

I have the sads today. :(

Izzy was sick last week. Like the sickest that boy has ever been, sick. Last Saturday we went with our friends to Fun Run, and the boys ran off and jumped on bouncey's all day. The next morning, he woke up and cried about a horrible headache. Weird, he has never had one before. We stay home from church and he cries throughout the day. He wakes up in the middle of the night sobbing that his head hurts so badly that his eyes are burning and he can't open them. I sleep in his room and hear him weep throughout the night. Then he throws up. Ugh. Monday, he has a temp of 102 and slept from 11 am-6pm STRAIGHT. Hubby wakes him up at 6 and moves him back to his bed and he immediately went back to sleep for the night. That is until 2 am when he starts throwing up every 5 minutes. That is when he developed the weirdest cough. I assumed it was from the puking and the no eating for days so I thought maybe his throat was burnt a little in the process. By Wednesday, he was back at school feeling much better and back to eating. He still had this nagging cough that sounded awful and really kicked up at night.

Cut to this morning, I get a call from my dear friend who we went to Fun Run with last week. She asked me to review Izzy's symptoms and I did. Turns out, her son has the exact same thing and was up all night. Headache, vomiting, fever, and a weird cough. Her hubby takes him to the Doc and I worried, because I know how sick and unmovable Izzy was when he had it and don't you hate when you take your poor little sicky in for a checkup and they say "Oh it is a virus, wait it out and keep the fluids running." Well, I was wrong. WAY wrong. Turns out, he has Croup! Which means, Izzy most likely had the same thing. Now, I know that Izzy is now healthy and fine, although he still has that yucky cough at night, but I feel awful that I didn't take him in to get it checked out. Her son was put on a steroid and seems to be improving already. I have never known anyone to have Croup so I googled it. When I read that children that were born prematurely are most at risk and when they get it have a high risk of being hospitalized, I felt horrible!

Rationally, I know that I can't know everything. But, Mommies are built with a natural intuition, and normally mine is right on. Glad that our boys are happy and healthy and getting better every day. Just wish I had taken it a little more seriously and maybe he would have gotten healthier a little quicker and not suffered so much.

On a happier note, my boys played outside all morning. I put up a little tent in the backyard, filled a little case full of army/spy toys, supplied snacks and drinks and let them have at it. 4 hours later, they came in dripping sweat, covered in dirt and laughing so hard. It was simply the cutest watching them play together like little boys. Now that might sound weird because they are boys, duh, but they are really getting to the age where they love the same toys, love to play together and Asher is so obsessed with Izzy that he will literally do whatever is asked of him. They chased each other around the yard, in and out of the tent and hid from each other. Where was Mommy? I was sitting so comfortably in a leather recliner, watching a recorded show and relaxing while watching them play with the basement door open. Have I told you how happy I am to have nice weather again? Very happy. :)

And so are they!

1 comment:

  1. aw,(((hugs))) mama.it's actually better for him to get through it without the aid of any medications if he can. (immune system building and all that) try not to let the mommy guilt get you too much... it happens to all of us. when K was 3, he was sick on and off for MONTHS. he's get a fever and nothing else... finally i took him to the doctor, and they told us a reoccurring virus and sent us home. eventually, we dragged him to the children's mercy ER with a fever of 103 and back pain... he stayed in the hospital for a week with a kidney infection. in retrospect, we realized he had been walking around for weeks complaining of "feeling old". we thought he was just copying his mimi, when he was actually saying that because his back hurt him. talk about guilt. i'm glad Iz is feeling better... it's so hard seeing them so sick.

    ReplyDelete