Friday, July 23, 2010

And yet another update

Last one..promise.

Izzy's Dr. called today and requested I bring him in at 11:30 this morning to finally get his 5 year shots. I was so relieved to finally get this over with, I can't even tell you. 11:27-We arrive. 12:38-They call us back. WHAT? Finally at almost 1:00 the Dr. and nurse came with the dreaded shots. I hadn't told him for sure that he would get shots, just told him it was a possibility. Seconds before they walked in I spilled my guts like I was getting interrogated under a hot lamp. He was devastated. I was heartbroken. But, I know my son well enough to know, that he wouldn't have slept, he would have worried for an entire day and thought of every worst case scenario (hmmm...who does he sound like?) and worked himself into a tizzy. He sat on my lap, held my hands and I told him to look away. Except he refused. He saw the needle and took a huge breath. Then she stuck him and he flinched...and did pretty good until she released the needle and blood went everywhere. Don't think that was in the plan. That was the moment that Izzy went into a partial hyperventilation mode, exclaiming "I'm bledding. I'm bledding." The Dr. and nurse just watch the blood drip off of his leg and the more blood, the more erratic Izzy's breathing got, and I started to worry he would pass out. Finally, they covered his leg and just when he thought it was all over, she pulls out the second needle and then the third. By the end, the nurse had her hands over her mouth and her eyes were watery. When the Doctor said she was all done and he had done a great job, Izzy said, "Thanks for my shots, and I promise I will feel better in just a minute." They went on and on about how handsome and sweet he is and offered him the best brand new book they had in stock and as much candy as he wanted. He came back in the room with a new book and one piece of candy. The nurse was amazed! She said, "I told him as much as you want and he just grabbed one! I love this boy." I've trained him well. Only one piece of candy at a time and he was thrilled to have that. When we were leaving he told the girls thank you again and then said, "I have to tell you, I want you to make it where I don't have anymore birthdays. I don't even care about the birthday parties. I don't want to have them because they make you grow numbers and when you do that you have to get shots and I don't want to leave my family ever. I want to stay home all of the time because I love them. Also I don't want anymore shots please." I swear I thought the Dr. was going to give him the giant bag of candy right there. He is such a sweetheart. The Doctor asked if he could come back and see her soon and he said, "Sorry, but I think I am good for lots of years." I sure hope so because that totally ripped my heart out.
After the appointment, I took him for a Happy Meal and then home to rest. He did great until we went out to dinner as a family and all of the sudden he started getting a little weepy and said his leg was sore and he was tired. Shots + no nap=A very tired 5 year old. All of the extra love didn't stop there. Papa heard he got shots, and bought him a blue Icee to help with the pain. :) I overheard Izzy rehashing his day and this is the convo:

"Papa, I got shots today. Lots of them and they stuck me in my knees. They were long needles and just just stuck them in my knees can you believe it? Now I have holes in my legs! Then that bled came out like crazy and I felt so bad for my Mom. I think my Moms heart broke a little. She cried and I cried lots. Shots are so horrible Papa. HORRIBLE!"

If you know Izzy at all, you know he will be milking this day for at least a week. He asked me to carry him to bed because "Remember Mom, I have holes in my legs now."

Glad to have this traumatic event over with, but now that it is over, I know that school is just a couple of weeks away which is going to be even more traumatic for Mommy. Pray for me. I am going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment