Monday, July 26, 2010

We had a good run...

We made it a full 5 years before breaking something. I'd say that is pretty good. Today I was a tad under the weather and had the boys downstairs playing. House rules are, you can play in the living room, but no running. This is a hard rule to stick to, because our living room has two openings into the kitchen which makes for a pretty good race track if you will. The boys try to "walk fast" but end up in a giggly jog and then by the end it is a full on run. Which always puts them into a time-out.

So back to today, I am upstairs when I hear a huge crash. I run downstairs to find my little Asher behind the living room recliner with a look of "ohmywordIaminbigtrouble." He got his foot tangled in the cord of a floor lamp and it crashed into the hard wood floors. It looked like it got hit by a car because the metal frame was bent as well as the metal shade. The bulb...well it was in about a thousand pieces which is never fun to clean up, let alone when you aren't feeling your best. Needless to say, he got a time-out for that one. Izzy was a mess all day, because he was so worried about who was going to tell Grandma since that was her lamp. I told him not to worry that I was going to talk to her. She walked in a little later and that little stink spilled his guts before the door was even totally open! Of course, Mom was totally fine about it, and we actually fixed it minus the bulb. I made Asher come to Grandma and tell her (well I told her again and he said yes and nodded) and then he said sorry and gave her a kiss.

But, then I think, one lamp in 5 years....that ain't bad right? Never had crayons, markers, pens, pencil marks on the wall, no crazy spills on the carpets, no weird accidents or broken items, furniture all still perfectly intact minus chew marks on the crib, no permanent marker on their bodies, no self-given hair cuts. I'd say with two boys...we are doing pretty good. So I stayed consistent with discipline, but I wasn't really that upset. Maybe because it wasn't my lamp. lol

It was a frustrating day for me. Not just the lamp, but I was just frustrated with myself because I hate that middle of the road sick. Sick where you are weak and exhausted but have no real symptoms so you feel guilty for not doing all the things that are begging to be done. I didn't have the energy to play with the kids. I for sure wasn't up to being out in the heat so they could just run free. I tried to keep them busy and entertained, but nothing like I normally interact. I feel like it was a wasted day and I hate that. I feel August looming, and that means school is just days away. I have tons of play dates I want to fit into the next couple of weeks and just fun things to do with my boys. Hubby and I talked and I think we are going to let Asher have a sleep-over in Izzy's room on Friday as a special treat. They have always slept well in the same room on vacation, but we have never tried it at home. They are both excited..we will see how it goes. I'm worried that once Asher tries it, he is going to want to sleep in there every night and I am just not ready to let my baby grow up that much yet.

I am determined to feel better tomorrow and get lots accomplished. Hopefully, we can meet up with our friends at the park and enjoy the day. Here is hoping the lamp is the only casualty of 2010. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment