Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools


Today is April Fools Day. This day is so annoying to me, probably because I am gullible. Let me tell you a little story about the worst April 1st, I ever had. I went to a private school as a child and while the school was strict, my parents were even more so. I was a very obedient child and NEVER went against an adults instruction. I was such a good kid, that the principal at the school often let me leave class and help in the office and many times I saw the naughty kids receive punishments and overheard many a call to parents. So needless to say, I was scared to disobey especially at school, because I saw first hand what happens if you do. (Hello, school spanking, I'm looking at you.)

I believe it was 3rd or 4th grade and my teacher passed out a paper that had a coded page. You had to figure out the code and then we were instructed that whatever the page said you "HAD" to do or we would be in trouble. The paper had several instructions, but one said take your shoes off and put them on the opposite feet for the rest of the day. Naturally, I obeyed and wore my tennis shoes on the wrong feet for the day and was self conscious the entire day. We went to gym class, chapel, lunch all with shoes on the wrong feet. Most of the time, I tried to keep my legs crossed in hopes no one would notice my feet were pointing in opposite directions. I'm sure it didn't help. At the end of the day when we were grabbing our stuff to leave, she announced APRIL FOOLS! and enjoyed a huge laugh. I didn't get it at all and she proceeded to explain her prank. I was devastated and went home crying.

I don't remember lots from my childhood, but that memory stands out because I felt so betrayed! Today it made me so sad when I dropped Izzy off at school today and as he was walking up the steps to school I heard his Coach play a joke on him and that is when it hit me that "OH MY WORD, I didn't explain April Fools to Izzy!" My most sensitive and innocent spirited kid is going to think everyone is picking on him all day! It bothered me all day and to be honest I even had the thought to pick him up early. I know, I know...slightly ridiculous, but I know how it feels and hated the thought of him having a similar experience. When I picked Izzy up, he jumped in the car happy as a clam and when we walked in he said Hi to Daddy and then said, "Dad there is a huge spider on your back!....APRIL FOOLS!" *insert hysterical 5 year old laughter* Obviously, I'm a big baby that takes things a tad too personal because he seemed to make it just fine.

Hope you had a great April 1st and kept your shoes on the right feet. :)

1 comment:

  1. yuuuup... i took my son to the grocery store after school so we could get the ingredients for dinner, and while i was roaming the food aisles, my son said "mom, you dropped something back there". naturally, i turned around and started scanning the floor saying "where? i don't see it. what was it?" then he yelled "APRIL FOOLS!" complete with maniacal little boy laugh.

    on another, less funny note, that was pretty mean of the teachers to let you guys go through your entire school day like that. i think they were out of line in that respect.

    ReplyDelete