Monday, November 14, 2011

Everything


The last two weeks have been completely crazy. Hubby is traveling each week. Both boys were sick the entire first week of his travels. Things were looking up, boys seemed better and Hubby came home for the weekend, and we enjoyed some good family time. As soon as he left again, Asher got hit with a second round of the virus and went back to having a almost 104 temp for days. After a visit to the local Children's Hospital and then another Doctors visit a couple of days later, he has finally made a turn around. For the first time in November, I have 2 healthy kids. Because of all of this, we have a lot of catching up to do. First, it hit me that maybe you didn't know that I have two pretty special boys. Sweet boys by day, Crime fighters by night....



                                Cleaning up the streets...                            
 My Batman with one of his Best Friends Captain America (Haiden)

Secondly, I have absolutely, without a doubt, the best friends in the entire world. While I was in the midst of single parenting two of the sickest kids I have ever had, I was smothered in love and support from my buddies.  Excuse me while I brag on them a bit...

  My friend Jeannie, picked up Izzy from school and practiced spelling and entertained him when I spent the day at the hospital with Asher. Her and her Husband Mike, even offered a week of taxi-ing services while Asher was down.  My friend Laretha, dropped off a goody bag FULL of healthy treats, Vitamin waters and a special Starbucks drink for me. She was even brave enough to sit, catch up and make me laugh. I needed that. My friend Katie, dropped off a homemade dinner of delicious chili and cookies and then made a second trip on week number 2 and left a package of Toy Story 3 Squinkies for Asher. He has spent every day playing with those things.  My friend Carolyn dropped off a big gift bag full of stuff to keep my little one happy, like a Toy Story 3 game, coloring books, crayons, and a Buzz Notebook.  That delivery made him smile for the first time in 2 weeks, and it kept him busy. My sister-in-law Amanda, took Izzy to his soccer awards, which he would've missed otherwise, ate dinner with a group of strangers and took pictures because she knows I'm crazy about that. When she dropped him off, she also delivered a Starbucks coffee and a yummy slice of pumpkin bread.  My friend Stacy offered a hot tub for a night of relaxing and bought me a yummy dinner to help me regroup. It was amazing!   

If that wasn't enough love for him, Ashers Grammy who lives on the East Coast, was feeling so bad for her little guy she sent a  HUGE basket full of fruit, hot wheels, crayons, coloring books and a bouquet of balloons! On top of all of that, I had countless texts and Facebook messages of offers to help and so many people praying for my family. 

I gotta say, there is much to be said about friends who don't just offer help, but just come and do what is needed. I think without them, I would've been huddled up in a corner sobbing, but just when I was feeling run down, there would be a knock on the door and a friend with a smile to greet me. I can't even explain how amazing that felt. I have prayed for years that God would surround me with a group of people like this, and he sent his very best.  When my Hubby is gone, and my parents are busy, it is so fantastic to know that I can be at peace because there is a huge group of people who will stand in the gap and love and support me in the meantime. I owe all of these people, plus the many, many more that has been there for me in the last few weeks a huge THANK YOU! I owe them hugs, prayers, delicious baked goods and fattening coffee drinks when they need it. I plan on keeping my ears open, because I want to bless them right back when they need a smile.

Thirdly, I have an awesomely giving Hubby. After driving back and forth (several hours each way, and when lots of Hubby's wouldn't waste the time), he has come home on the weekends to help me out. Without him, I would have been living on a 10 minute stretch of sleep each night for 2 weeks. After working long hours at a hospital far away then driving several hours, he came home with a huge bouquet of flowers, Chinese food and pumpkin muffins to greet me. He immediately sent me to bed to rest and took over. He cleaned the house, he did all of the laundry. (Not just the 4 people family laundry, but the extra 100 sick loads) he folded and put them all away. He Doctored sick kids, he made dinners and lunches, he took Izzy to school, packed lunches, helped with homework, picked Izzy up from school and ran errands for me, so I could rest. He let me focus on the kids and took care of everything else. He made sure he took care of everything before heading back out of town. He stayed until the very last minute possible to spend time with his family and help as much as possible. He is amazing. This weekend when the kids were completely better, he did anything the kids wanted. He played Wii Sports with Asher until Ash couldn't stand up anymore. Saturday we enjoyed a preview of Happy Feet 2 thanks to iFamilyKC and afterwards, we went to the kids favorite restaurant, went out for ice cream and then went to the Toy Store for hours, just to make them happy. I have a great husband. 

The moral of this story is this: Treat others how you want to be treated. The golden rule is really true, and not just something we teach our kids. When you give kindness, you get it right back. A simple gesture means OH so much, when you are feeling down.  I want to be known as a good friend and a giver. I am surrounded with those people, and I am so thankful and blessed. Now it is my turn. :) 


1 comment:

  1. hey! thats me! you are so easy to love and be around. you lift my soul.

    ReplyDelete